As your institution becomes more digital you will increasingly need to automate your processes, and all of this will require some form of computer programming.
To be fully literate in this modern world, it is required to be proficient in reading, writing, mathematics, communications, and increasingly to be proficient in computers. Whereas computer-usage is one proficiency, the next proficiency you should be seeking is to learn how to develop your own computer programs.
This course is a first step in computer programming, providing the principles and practical application and allowing you to build your own programs. Most programming languages have common features, and provide for the management of data and how this data is processed.
This course is presented by Roger Layton, who has taught hundreds of programming courses over the past 35 years, and is being presented for the first time to heritage professionals.
Who should attend
All delegates are required to bring their own laptops with them which they will use for the course. Software required for the course will be provided at the start of the course.
Topics to be covered
- What is computer programming?
- The nature of programming statements
- Objects, properties, and operators
- The nature of data
- Introducing data structures
- Creating a basic WordPress web site
- Conditional statements and looping
- Building your own subroutines: functions and procedures
- Input and output
- Interacting with the users
- Special objects
- Exploring different programming languages
- Designing programs
- Programming for web pages
At the end of the course you will have obtained the following knowledge and practical experience:
- to understand computer programming and then nature of data and processes
- how to create your own programs
- where to go next in your further learning of intermediate-level programming
- how to apply computer programming into your own environment
Pricing and Booking
Our workshop and course prices are to be found on the Workshop Pricing and Booking Process page together with the process for bookings.